Legendary Creatures part II – (COTCG)
Vix’s Lair and his Minions
Vix is aided by the Hyxia Crystal, as he is its primary defender. The crystal has up to 10 thralls under its control. These thralls listen to the Hyxia’s command and defend it with their lives. The crystal is not picky in choosing its thralls; any that wander into the caves are able creatures in its eyes.
Hyxia thralls can be any creature, although mostly unintelligent creatures fail to resist its call. The statistics of a thrall are the same as its original, although its Intelligence is 4 (-3) and its Charisma 5 (-2).
Random Encounter Table Hyxia Caverns & Suggested Thralls
|1||4 worker ants and 2 soldier ants|
|2||5 giant artillery beetles|
|3||4 giant assassin bugs|
|4||2 giant spiders and 1 scorpion fly|
|5||1 praying mantis (F)|
|6||4 giant fleas|
|7||2 nothic eyes of Hyxia and a giant hercules beetle|
|8||6 secret keepers; the secret they’re keeping is the|
crystal, and their horrifying scream activates when
the Hyxia crystal is touched.
|9||1 crystal elemental and 2 fractures|
|10||1 skullshield ladybug|
The rose caverns lie deep within the earth of the grove; its heart encased in stone. The caverns tunnel long and far, and split up often. Many souls have lost their way within the caverns, never to be heard of again. The heart of the caves is where the hyxia crystal is kept safe. It is encased beneath a large crystal slab. This counts as the lair of Vix and the Crystal, and its the last line of defense the Crystal has employed.
Unlocking the Seal
To unlock the seal of the crystal encasing, multiple options are available;
- A DC 25 Strenght check breaks open the case; This activates the protective glyph of warding, casting the feeblemind spell (DC 18) on the creature that broke the seal. While under the effects, the creature is considered a thrall of the crystal.
- A dispel magic cast on 8th level or higher dispells the seal and the glyph of warding.
- The seal can be broken by divining the key phrase by reading Vix’ mind; although this is not possible within his lair.
- Vix can voluntarily open the seal.
Lair actions Vix
On initiative count 20 (losing initiative ties), Vix can take one lair action to cause one of the following effects; Vix can’t use the same effect two rounds in a row unless he is concentrating on a spell as part of the lair action:
- Vix casts the mirror image spell on himself without requiring normal concentration. If he want’s to keep concentration, he must use this lair action again. Once the spell runs out, Vix can not choose this lair action on his next turn.
- All creatures must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw (DC 18). On a failed save, they take 10 (3d6) psychic damage and must use their reaction to move away from Vix up to their movementspeed. The creature does not wander into obviously dangerous terrain this way.
- All creatures move 10 ft. in a direction of Vix’ choosing. A creature that moves this way does not trigger an attack of opportunity.
Lair actions Hyxia Crystal
On initiative count 10 (losing initiative ties), the crystal can take one lair action to cause one of the following effects; the crystal can’t use the same effect two rounds in a row unless he is concentrating on a spell as part of the lair action:
- The crystal casts bless, targeting all of the thralls under its command that are within the lair.
- The crystal heals a creature within the lair for 18 (4d8) hit points.
- The crystal casts fog cloud, creating 4 different 5 foot radius clouds of fog within the lair.