Page I – Introduction (CN)
Javi’s magic and his created creatures have not left the surrounding lands completely undisturbed. Creatures in the vicinity might notice the following:
- Draconic (DC 16 Nature) roars echoing over the cliffside (Roars by the greeniron drake Maw).
- Traps for small and medium-sized games can be found in the area’s surroundings.
- Missing humanoids that supposedly passed by this area
- Tracks of a larger fight A successful DC 14 survival check reveals tracks of 7 creatures in the fight, but 4 leading to the cliffside. They do not lead to the bridge, but rather to the lowest part of the cliffside.
Javi the Dragontamer As a Side Quest
When you wish to run this encounter as a sidequest instead of a random encounter, you can use the following character hooks;
- Few hunters of a nearby town have not returned; odd roars have caused the people to be too afraid for a search party. On a quest board in the tavern (or Irina Shaphals, a human female whose husband is missing) a quest specifies a 100 gold reward for finding out what happened to the missing hunters.
- A drunken gambler challenges the party to gamble. He says he has struck a very interesting deal but is short on cash. He offers up the ticket required by Javi to do business (buying a Drake Egg), offered against anything above 300 gold pieces. He is unwilling to divulge what the ticket is for, but he will divulge the information if offered another drink in combination with a successful DC 11 persuasion check.
The Encounters Participant
Javi has his own Greeniron Drake, Maw. furthermore, his devilish helper, a Drakonfiend named Bilzifyr, is present at night, tending to the eggs. The imp Jhigo assists Javi in his matters of acquiring food for Maw.
- Javi is an outstanding conjuration wizard, or so he thinks at least. When faced with creatures not obviously stronger than him (e.g. adult true dragons), he thinks lesser of them. He is ruthless in combat but is vulnerable to a sweet tongue. He wishes to make a lot of money for his own wizard tower, and selling these greeniron drake eggs is his method of doing so.
- Maw, the Greeniron Drake is shaped much like a normal guard drake. Although with stronger muscles, a strong bone-plated torso and scales that shimmer with metallic green energy. The drake gets its name from the bone plates, covering its body. Their defensive properties are as strong as dark iron, and their color represents their heritage. Maw is an aggressive drake, as Javi is not a benevolent master. Maw lashes out at creatures approaching it, and even Javi has difficulty controlling her sometimes. She is better oriented towards Bilzifyr.
- Bilzifyr the Drakonfiend, is a weird amalgamation of fiendish and half-dragon properties. He has one goal in mind; use Javi to create an army of drakes within the material plane for the dragonqueen to use. His silver tongue is what persuaded Javi to let Bilzifyr help him in this process.
- Jhigo The Imp Javi had summoned while in school. The imp has a tricksy personality and loves to lock people into traps while watching. It hopes to promote when Bilzifyr’s plan comes to fruition.