TABLE OF CONTENTS
What is a Shrieker?
The Shrieker is a special species of Fungi that generally is indistinguishable from other types of Fungi, but can be really dangerous for adventurers for the loud racket they produce. In fact, when a bright light source comes close to this plant, it emits a loud shriek (that’s why it is called shrieker) that continues until the disturbance gets far enough from it.
You can find these types of plants in dark and humid places underground and is generally close to other species of fungi. Shriekers are not intrinsically really dangerous, except when you find them close to another species of Fungi: violet fungi. These two species of Fungi have a symbiotic relationship that can pose a real threat to any adventurers that encounter them: while the shriekers stun them with their loud shrieks, the violet fungi trap and consume the unlucky visitors using their tentacles.
These types of plants are also central to the diet of Purple Worms and Shambling Mounds, which do not seem affected by the loud noises produced by this plant.
Other notable details
This species of Fungi is used as the main ingredient to empowering the two following spells:
Medium plant, unaligned
- Armor class: 5
- Hit Points (HP): 13 (3d8)
- Speed: 0 ft.
- STR: 1 (−5)
- DEX: 1 (−5)
- CON: 10 (+0)
- INT: 1 (−5)
- WIS: 3 (−4)
- CHA: 1 (−5)
- Condition Immunities blinded, deafened, frightened
- Senses: blindsight 30 ft. (blind beyond this radius), passive Perception 6
- Language: —
- Challenge rating: 0 (10 XP)
- False Appearance. While the shrieker remains motionless, it is indistinguishable from an ordinary fungus.
- Shriek. When bright light or a creature is within 30 feet of the shrieker, it emits a shriek audible within 300 feet of it. The shrieker continues to shriek until the disturbance moves out of range and for 1d4 of the shrieker’s turns afterward.