WHAT IS AN ETTERCAP?
An Ettercap is a predatory Creature from DnD 5e with a strong affinity with Spiders. This monstrosity is similar to a gray-purplish humanoid for the body, and a spider for the fangs and eyes, along with a pair of sharp claws on its hands and feet.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
The Ettercaps are as tall as an average humanoid (with a medium height of 6 ft or 1.8 meters) and weigh around 200 lbs (90 kg).
They resemble hunched humanoids with purple-grey skin. They present a distended white underbelly, a spider-like face with sharp fangs and small eyes, and two chitinous claws at the extremity of their upper and lower limbs.
Ettercaps are not very intelligent monstrosities, but they are indeed capable of basic forms of reasoning. They are capable of planning traps and ambushes to trap and ensnare their targets.
Their behavior may be considered a consequence of their ability to create traps and their connection with spiders: they are often considered “coward” creatures that avoid direct confrontations and uses their intelligence to plan strategies that give them the opportunity to face their enemies only when they are incapacitated or trapped.
Like spiders, they do not like to reunite with other monsters. The only times they socialize are during mating and with spiders, which they breed as their pets.
HISTORY & SOCIETY
Ettercaps demonstrate to have the ability to breed animals; in particular, they are very fond of spiders and, in general, every type of insect that falls under the arachnids category.
Many Ettercaps have been found to behave with Giant Spiders in the same way humanoids behave with Dogs.
Since they demonstrate to be capable of strategy and basic form of organization, it begs the question: do Ettercaps Speak? Ettercaps are able to speak a simple language that is based on clicking sounds produced by Spiders and other types of insects. It is unknown if there is any type of writing connected to this language, but according to some scholars, if there is one, it might be a semasiographic type of written language.
Ettercaps also seem to be able to understand other languages such as elven, but the way their phonatory apparatus prevent them to speak these types of languages.
Ettercaps are surely a particular type of monstrosity: all these different clues seem to confirm the myth about their origin.
Ettercaps are descendants of an ancient tribe of Druids (probably of Elven origins) who were tainted and then transmogrified by their association with a powerful demonic entity. They were transformed into the predatory arachnids they once venerated.
While many have reverted back to a beastly form, basing their lives on pure natural instinct, there are others who have maintained some basic forms of intelligence and language.
ETTERCAP CREATURE'S SHEET
Medium monstrosity, neutral evil
- Armor class: 13 (natural armor)
- Hit Points (HP): 44 (8d8 + 8)
- Speed: 30 ft., climb 30 ft.
- STR: 14 (+2)
- DEX: 15 (+2)
- CON: 13 (+1)
- INT: 7 (−2)
- WIS: 12 (+1)
- CHA: 8 (−1)
- Skills: Perception +3, Stealth +4, Survival +3
- Senses:darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 13
- Language: —
- Challenge rating: 11 (7,200 XP)
- Spider Climb. The Ettercap can climb difficult surfaces, including upside down on ceilings, without needing to make an ability check. Web Sense. While in contact with a web, the ettercap knows the exact location of any other creature in contact with the same web.
- Web Walker. The ettercap ignores movement restrictions caused by webbing.
- Multiattack. The ettercap makes two attacks: one with its bite and one with its claws.
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 6 (1d8 + 2) piercing damage plus 4 (1d8) poison damage. The target must succeed on a DC 11 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned for 1 minute. The creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
- Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (2d4 + 2) slashing damage.
- Web (Recharge 5–6). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 30/60 ft., one Large or smaller creature. Hit: The creature is restrained by webbing. As an action, the restrained creature can make a DC 11 Strength check, escaping from the webbing on a success. The effect also ends if the webbing is destroyed. The webbing has AC 10, 5 hit points, vulnerability to fire damage, and immunity to bludgeoning, poison, and psychic damage.
Support the Platform
USE CODE: ” ARKANEATLAS” to receive a 10% discount at checkout
- The Ettercap is a DnD 5e creature written and published in accordance with the OGL 5e
- Discover New Homebrew Creatures
- Creature’s sheet from the SRD 5e
- Description partially inspired by this wiki article by Ettercap
- Artwork in the text made by Hatto Artworks