TABLE OF CONTENTS
What are aboleths? Aboleths are enormous fish-like amphibians, often reaching 20 feet (6.1 meters) in length and weighing up to 6,500 pounds (2,900 kilograms) though they continue to grow as they age, with some fantastically ancient specimens reaching the amazing length of 40 feet (12 meters).
Behavior and Characteristics
Their appearance is as the perfect example of an aberration: they look like strange eels, with long, tubular bodies, a tail at one end, and two fins near the head and another along the back. Their mouths are lamprey-like, with serrated, jawless teeth.
Aboleth underbellies are generally orange-pink, while their topsides were sea-green. Four long tentacles emerge from across each other on the top and two more on the underbelly, a little bit back from the head. Their heads are triangular in appearance, with a spherical, beak-like nose. Their three eyes are positioned atop each other above the nose.
Tendrils and a couple of shorter tentacles hung from the head’s base. The bottom of their bodies is lined with four blue-black slime-secreting orifices. The blood of Aboleth, if you are able to cut one of them, is green and viscous, pouring like sap.
Large aberration, lawful evil
- Armor class: 17 (natural armor)
- Hit Points (HP): 135 (18d10 + 36)
- Speed: 10 ft., swim 40 ft.
- STR: 21 (+5)
- DEX: 9 (-1)
- CON: 15 (+2)
- INT: 18 (+4)
- WIS: 15 (+2)
- CHA: 18 (+4)
- Saving throws: Con +6, Int +8, Wis +6
- Skills: History +12, Perception +10
- Senses: darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 20
- Languages: Deep Speech, telepathy 120 ft.
- Challenge rating: 10 (5,900 XP)
- Amphibious. The aboleth can breathe air and water.
- Mucous Cloud. While underwater, the aboleth is surrounded by transformative mucus. A creature that touches the aboleth or that hits it with a melee attack while within 5 feet of it must make a DC 14 Constitution saving throw. On a failure, the creature is diseased for 1d4 hours. The diseased creature can breathe only underwater.
- Probing Telepathy. If a creature communicates telepathically with the aboleth, the aboleth learns the creature’s greatest desires if the aboleth can see the creature.
- Multiattack. The aboleth makes three tentacle attacks.
- Tentacle. Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 12 (2d6 + 5) bludgeoning damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 14 Constitution saving throw or become diseased. The disease has no effect for 1 minute and can be removed by any magic that cures disease. After 1 minute, the diseased creature’s skin becomes translucent and slimy, the creature can’t regain hit points unless it is underwater, and the disease can be removed only by heal or another disease-‐curing spell of 6th level or higher. When the creature is outside a body of water, it takes 6 (1d12) acid damage every 10 minutes unless moisture is applied to the skin before 10 minutes have passed.
- Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 10 ft. one target. Hit: 15 (3d6 + 5) bludgeoning damage.
- Enslave (3/Day). The aboleth targets one creature it can see within 30 feet of it. The target must succeed on a DC 14 Wisdom saving throw or be magically charmed by the aboleth until the aboleth dies or until it is on a different plane of existence from the target. The charmed target is under the aboleth’s control and can’t take reactions, and the aboleth and the target can communicate telepathically with each other over any distance.
Whenever the charmed target takes damage, the target can repeat the saving throw. On a success, the effect ends. No more than once every 24 hours, the target can also repeat the saving throw when it is at least 1 mile away from the aboleth.
The aboleth can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. The aboleth regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.
- Detect. The aboleth makes a Wisdom (Perception) check.
- Tail Swipe. The aboleth makes one tail attack.
- Psychic Drain (Costs 2 Actions). One creature charmed by the aboleth takes 10 (3d6) psychic damage, and the aboleth regains hit points equal to the damage the creature takes.
Support the Platform
USE CODE: ” ARKANEATLAS” to receive a 10% discount at checkout